New York City has a vibrant and thriving LGBTQ scene, and the city is home to some of the best gay bars in the world. From classic bars that have been around for decades to newer, trendier spots, there is something for everyone in the city that never sleeps. Here is a comprehensive guide to all the gay bars in NY that you must check out.
- The Stonewall Inn: The Stonewall Inn is the birthplace of the modern gay rights movement and remains one of the most iconic bars in the city. The bar is in Greenwich Village and has been around since the 1960s. It is a must-visit spot for anyone interested in LGBTQ history.
- Julius’: Julius’ has been around since the 1800s and is one of the oldest gay bars in the city. It is located in the West Village and was a popular spot for LGBTQ activists in the 1960s. The bar has a classic New York feel and is a great spot for a casual drink.
- The Monster: The Monster is a classic gay bar in the West Village. It has been around since the 1970s and is known for its drag shows and karaoke nights.
- Ty’s: Ty’s is a classic dive bar located in Chelsea. It has been around since the 1970s and is a popular local spot. The bar has a laid-back vibe and is a great spot for a low-key night out.
- The Rosemont: The Rosemont is a newer gay bar in Williamsburg, Brooklyn. It has a trendy, modern feel and is known for its drag shows and dance parties.
- 3 Dollar Bill: 3 Dollar Bill is a newer gay bar in Bushwick, Brooklyn. It has a warehouse vibe and is known for its themed parties and events.
- The Phoenix: The Phoenix is a trendy gay bar in the East Village. It has a sleek, modern feel is known for its great cocktails and weekend dance parties.
- The Ritz: The Ritz is a trendy gay bar in Hell’s Kitchen. It has a modern, industrial feel and is known for its drag shows and dance parties.
Bars with a View
- The Top of the Standard: The Top of the Standard is a rooftop bar in the Meatpacking District. It has a stunning city view and is a popular spot for a fancy night out.
- Westlight: Westlight is a rooftop bar located in Williamsburg, Brooklyn. It has a stunning view of the Manhattan skyline and is a great spot for a cocktail with friends.
- Le Bain: Le Bain is a rooftop bar in the Meatpacking District. It has a stunning view of the city and is known for its pool parties in the summer.
- The Boiler Room: The Boiler Room is a gay bar in the East Village. It has a cozy neighborhood feel and is a popular local spot.
- Ginger’s: Ginger’s is a lesbian bar in Park Slope, Brooklyn. It has a cozy, laid-back feel and is a great spot for a casual night out.
- Nowhere Bar: Nowhere Bar is a gay bar in the East Village. It has a laid-back vibe and is a great spot for a casual drink with friends.
New York City is home to some of the best gay bars in the world, and this list only scratches the surface. Whether you’re looking for a classic dive bar or a trendy rooftop spot, there is something for everyone in the city’s vibrant LGBTQ scene. These bars offer a fun night out and serve as important spaces for the community to come together, celebrate their identities, and feel a sense of belonging.
In addition to the bars listed above, there are many other LGBTQ-friendly spaces throughout the city, including dance clubs, cabarets, and community centers. These spaces offer various events, from drag shows and karaoke nights to educational workshops and political rallies.
It’s important to note that not all LGBTQ spaces are created equal. Some bars and clubs have faced criticism for racism, sexism, transphobia, and other forms of discrimination. As a visitor to these spaces, it’s important to be aware of these issues and support establishments actively working to create a safe and inclusive environment for all.
In conclusion, the LGBTQ community in New York City has a vibrant history, and the city’s gay bars are an important part of that legacy. Whether you’re a local or a visitor, these bars offer a welcoming and exciting space to celebrate and connect with the LGBTQ community. So grab a drink, hit the dance floor, and enjoy all that these amazing bars have to offer.